Barnum High School
Principal’s Newsletter – September 18-24
- Picture day is scheduled for Wednesday morning. I asked Nurse Mattei to schedule vision and hearing for this day as well to limit the days we will have disruptions.
- This Wednesday during the PLC time, we will come together as a full staff in A25. You should have had time to review the Charlotte Danielson rubric and consider an area of professional growth. This Wednesday, we will start to form up PLCs.
- During the first week of walk through observations, I was able to see one more teacher teach than I had planned for the week. Getting into the classrooms is one of the best things I do in my job. The professional dialog after these short observations is more specific than a comprehensive observation. I look forward to having more of them. Just a reminder, I will be in your class for 10-15 minutes, and then I will meet with you during your prep no later than the day after the walk through.
- A reminder of the expectations that we have regarding Schoology. Post your weekly objectives and assignments with due dates.
- Please continue to send video and pictures to email@example.com. This is a great way to show the community all that we do as we open the school year.
- Last week's walk through observations caught me discussing academic language more than any other topic. Thank you for developing and displaying word walls in your classrooms. I know that some are in the works. I should see word walls in all classrooms by the end of September.
- Which is a good segue into my professional practice post.
One way of increasing academic rigor in the classroom is to increase academic language. -- Pérsida Himmele and William Himmele
We have spent time focusing on vocabulary and text dependent questions over the past two school years. Continuing to engage in these practices is essential to our student growth. Using academic language, the language of your content, engages the student in the material you are teaching and raises expectations for your students.
There are lessons scheduled for Monday and Friday this week. Engage students about respect and responsibility this week.
2017-2018 School Norms
- Be fully present while limiting distractions
- Respectfully acknowledge and appreciate colleagues’ different perspectives and skills
- Be professional and positive in both verbal and nonverbal communication
- Be accountable and responsible for individual roles
- Be prepared and on time
- Have the discussions before decisions are made
Meetings this Week
Tuesday - AM - CST
Wednesday - PLCs - We will meet in A25 together.
Thursday - Reserved for MTSS(RTI)
Friday - AM - Site Team Meeting