Barnum High School
Principal’s Newsletter – April 22-28
- MCA testing continues this week with the Math MCA. Refer to the schedule from Mrs. Dammer.
- Thank you for assisting the students through course registration. I plan to have a draft schedule out by next Friday, May 3.
- During homeroom this week, we will start ALICE discussions. On Tuesday, discuss with your students the strategies for locking down your classroom. Take time on Wednesday during your classes to touch on these strategies as they apply to your classrooms with your students as they rotate throughout the day. Thursday's topic is countering strategies. Discuss countering with students during homeroom. Friday, take time to discuss countering as students rotate through their day.
- Seniors will be out of the building for their class trip on Wednesday, April 24. Some are choosing to stay in school.
- I will publish our Essential Learning Standards on our school website in May. Continue to work through your standards and the student language. As you develop the student-friendly language, start using it with your students in the classroom. The next step of determining how you assess your essential standards and monitor the learning is key to supporting students in the MTSS model.
- This Wednesday will be the last PLC time focused on determining essential standards. All work from this point forward will focus on Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS or RTI). We will start Wednesday, May 1 on three tasks. First, what will be our goal in updating MTSS? Second, you will work to determine common language, and third what are the common assumptions specific to MTSS. Plan on meeting as an entire staff Wednesday mornings.
7th Grade Pancake Breakfast - Tuesday, April 30
Lockdown - Tuesday, April 23
Counter - Thursday, April 25
- Standards can be found on the MDE Standards Website.
- Please share video and pictures to email@example.com. This is a great way to show the community all the great things you do at BHS. If you are a Twitter user, use #barnumbombers and #nascmn.
2018-2019 School Norms
- Be fully present while limiting distractions
- Respectfully acknowledge and appreciate colleagues’ different perspectives and skills
- Be professional and positive in both verbal and nonverbal communication
- Be accountable and responsible for individual roles
- Be prepared and on time
- Have the discussions before decisions are made
Meetings this Week
Tuesday - AM - CST PM - School Board Meeting
Wednesday - AM - PLC
Thursday - AM - Reserved for Grade Level Meetings AM - Site Team Meeting