Barnum High School
Principal’s Newsletter – December 10-16
- Thank you for sharing in the celebration of Sheryl Polman Bittner's life. After visiting with Dan, it was very clear that Sunday's celebration was what she wanted. It is healthy to share in remembering and honoring a friend and colleague, but continue to find ways to care for yourselves and your other colleagues who may continue to struggle. If you are struggling, reach out.
- Thank you for your participation in the staff work session on Friday. Thank you for your commitment to make this school the best we can make it.
- There will be a thank you card in the lounge to sign for the BES teachers for the coffee, bagels and rolls they sent our way on Friday.
- This past week is a great reminder of how we are a community. Another way we can show compassion this time of year is to give to families who are in need. Continue to encourage students to donate to the blessing bag. This is the final week of fund raising.
- As you work through the essential standards, keep in mind the other skills we want our students to get from their time at BHS. A short list would include, but not limited to: citizenship, social emotional learning, metacognition, growth mindset, grit, and organization. Where would these fit in what you deem essential? Is there a thread that can be strung throughout each grade level?
- I have been asked by departments that have fewer standards what is the next step? If you find that you have determined your essential standards, how would you provide interventions for those? How would you phrase them in student-friendly language? When would you teach each standard?
- I will join the English department this week during PLCs.
- Standards can be found on the MDE Standards Website. I have one school's example of essential standards and will send them to you in an email.
- Please share video and pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a great way to show the community all the great things you do at BHS. If you are a Twitter user, use #barnumbombers and #nascmn.
2018-2019 School Norms
- Be fully present while limiting distractions
- Respectfully acknowledge and appreciate colleagues’ different perspectives and skills
- Be professional and positive in both verbal and nonverbal communication
- Be accountable and responsible for individual roles
- Be prepared and on time
- Have the discussions before decisions are made
Meetings this Week
Tuesday - AM - CST Meeting
Wednesday - AM - PLCs
Thursday - AM - Reserved for Grade Level Meetings
Friday - AM - Site Team Meeting